Saturday 1 July 2017

HOW IT GETS TO ME


 I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made;
Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey bee,
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight’s all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the linnet’s wings.



I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements grey,
I hear it in the deep heart’s core.











3 comments:

  1. I tried. Just not poetic I'm afraid. No doubt others are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A COMMENT FROM RUTH
    I love this poem, I remember it well from school days.
    It speaks to me of longing for peace and solitude.
    A respite from the noise of life, from worries and responsibilities.

    The rhythm and sound of the very words are calming, soothing and like a massage for the brain.

    I will arise...
    Not I will just nip to the village and get the...
    I wilI just dash to Tesco and grab some ...
    I will just fling a few ingredients in a pan and then I can...
    I will just skim the headlines...

    I don't think I have ever "arisen" in my life.
    Despite being retired, I still need to force myself to take time to enjoy the slowness of the seasons, of watching the birds, of weeding and thinning.
    And yet that is the way to peace for me.

    Be still and know that I am God.
    I love those few simple words.
    So, thank you for reminding me of this poem.
    The pictures are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FROM HANNAH
    Just a quick email to thank you for continuing the blog over many years. It has been a grand companion to me and I'm sure very many others as we travel along through all the ups and downs. Especially want to echo the thanks of Ruth and Fr. Kallinkes for the last 2 beautiful posts. I love Yeats poetry and spent have very happy memories of Innisfree, Co. Sligo and that beautiful west coast. Like Ruth I'm retired now and "I spit into the face of time that has transfigured me" is a line that comes readily (and often)to me, just as "I will arise and go now" and the lovely psalm line "Be still and know that I am God" do.

    ReplyDelete